[SDCBeeks] Question about feed new swarm

Dorothy Brown dorothycfi at msn.com
Sun Jun 21 17:12:29 PDT 2020

A friend and I hived a large swarm in Los Alamos about 6 weeks ago. They are in his Langstroth hive in Los Alamos. We kept them supplied with sugar syrup until they slowed way down on how much they were taking. They were given plenty of drawn comb, and they have a good brood pattern. They are bringing in pollen and seem to have some nectar. Just this weekend, we offered them syrup again, and they are going through at least a quart a day. When I stand and watch them, the have a good flight path, as if they are working a food source. My question is whether we should continue feeding as long as they are taking it all? People water for all-season bloom, so the blooming plants (salvia, cat mint, lavender, Russian sage is just about to start) are likely to be producing nectar. I see honey bees and other pollinators taking nectar. Maybe there isn't enough.

Thank you for any insights. I have never had bees resume taking syrup this late in the season.

Dorothy