[SDCBeeks] Queen Bees

Hugh Schall HES at msn.com
Sun May 14 16:31:56 PDT 2023

Rob,

I installed the box of bees in an existing top bar hive that had drawn comb, honey and pollen.  It has been 5 days since they were installed.  I found that they had eaten the marshmallow and released the  queen.  I checked all of the frames and no sign of the queen, eggs or larva.

When the bees arrived, the queen cage was not attached to the tab.  I found it when I loaded the bees in the hive.  It was stuck in the shipping box and I noticed it when the box was on the ground.  I then installed it.   The bees have cleaned out all of the comb for eggs, but there wasn't a one in sight.  I am not sure if she was damaged when I installed the bees.  I am feeding the bees, but they don't seem to be taking much food, probably since there is  both honey and nectar in the hive and there was already five frames of drawn comb.

I hate to wait too long for a queen.  I may wait a day or two to check again.  If there is no sign of her laying, I will give make a call.  He owes me a nuc colony, but said delivery will be something after the 14th, but nothing specific.  Maybe I could get a queen from him when I get the nuc colony.

Thanks,

Hugh