[SDCBeeks] SDC Beekeepers Monthly Meeting This Week

Kate Whealen beto1234 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 10:21:21 PDT 2024

At this time there should be maturing drones and possibly some queen cups under construction if the colony is crowded or honey bound. Are you trying to prevent swarming? Once the queen lays an egg in a queen cup and the bees begin feeding the larva after the egg hatches it is known as a queen cell. If you have multiple queen cells under development this can indicate swarm preparation. If there are many developing queen cells present this is a good time to split the hive. At the very least it’s important to make room for the queen to lay to prevent crowding in the brood nest that can trigger swarming. Add empty frames or top bars to encourage the bees to build more comb instead of focusing on swarming.